On Jul 29, 2010, at 5:59 PM, Martin Stanley wrote:

>> Even if you could capture a proposed deletion before save, which AFAIK you
>> can't, you will still have an undo mess. IMHO you best bet is to capture the
>> situation at the point of editing the predicate, substituting the deleted
>> item with a placeholder like "<deleted>".
> I agree, trying to capture the deletion would be an unholy mess.
>
> But perhaps I haven't explained the problem clearly enough. The problem
> arises not when the predicate is being edited, but when entity referenced in
> the predicate is deleted. I need to find a way to notice this and then to
> take corrective action.
>
> Also, it would be nice to let the user know that the deletion of this entity
> will invalidate a SmartGroup. Once the model is changed appropriately I can
> perform this check in response to the user request to delete the entity.

I was assuming that your language use was loose, but do you *really* mean
deleting an entity, or simply deleting a managed object of that entity type?
The former would be a horribly bad idea in most cases.

Assuming that you don't mean the above, I still don't think you are
articulating the problem correctly. Deleting isn't the problem--Core data does
that just fine. It seems that it is some *consequence* of the deletion that is
the problem. What is that precisely? That a "smart group" will be invalid?
Unless you present it otherwise to the user, it is just a predicate, and it is
just as valid if it doesn't match anything.

But then if the problem is that you don't want this condition to occur without
user consent--which may be a friendly feature--as long as project objects can't
be deleted by core data internal processes (such as the result of a delete
rule), you have complete control over the deletion, so you can check it then,
before it even occurs.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.