On 02/08/2010, at 2:19 AM, Nick Rogers wrote:

> - (id)prototype
> {
>       HexCell *aCell = [[ HexCell alloc] init];
>       [aCell setEnabled:YES];
>       [aCell setStringValue:@"00"];
>       [aCell setFont:[NSFont systemFontOfSize:10.0]];
>       return aCell;
> }

You really don't want to be doing this (regardless of fixing your
problem/design). This is creating and leaking a new cell every time it is
called, which it is for every cell that the matrix displays, which it then
copies. That could easily be thousands of objects.

> I know its a crude and inefficient way to make a hex viewer

Yup.

I don't see what the problem is offhand, there probably isn't enough
information - like how your nib is set up, are your views transparent, what
sort of window background you have and so on.

But the whole design is so horrible my advice is to throw it away and start
over - seriously, it shouldn't take that long and trying to bend an
inappropriate class to your will WILL end up taking more time, even if you're
under the illusion that having it all work is just around the corner.

For example, one thing your approach can never do is to select a block of
memory for editing, you can only select single cells at a time. Straight away
that's a good reason to reject NSMatrix out of hand for this task. Setting up
NSTextView with a text table using a monospaced font should be straightforward
and is likely to actually work. Or, just download this and get on with your
life: http://ridiculousfish.com/hexfiend/

--Graham