On 1 Aug 2010, at 23:20, Dave Fernandes wrote:

> I haven't found anything specific in the HIG about this, so I'd be interested
> in some opinions...
>
> I have an modal editor sheet that attaches to a document window to allow
> certain document contents to be manipulated. The sheet is somewhat complex,
> and toolbar items are definitely helpful to have. I can add a toolbar to the
> sheet, but this doesn't seem to be fully supported by Cocoa, and it may be
> confusing to the user to have the document window's toolbar right above the
> sheet's toolbar.
>
> It might make more sense to swap the document window's toolbar for the editor
> toolbar; but, unfortunately, the document window's toolbar always gets
> disabled when the sheet appears - so this wouldn't work.
>
> Any comments on the UI conundrum?

This is an idea supported by Apple. Check out the Export panel in iWork apps.
However, it looks to me like a custom implementation, and think it probably is
a smidge confusing. My advice would probably be to use a tabview instead
(perhaps hooked up with my KSTabViewController class – yes, shameless
promotion).

Mike.