On Aug 2, 2010, at 2:26 PM, Knut Lorenzen wrote:

> my app should copy a few files to a remote (afp://) volume, hence it notifies
> the user if there is no connection, using NSFileManager's fileExistsAtPath:
> method.
>
> However, if the user connects to the Server using Finder's "Connect As...",
> NSFileManager's fileExistsAtPath: @"/Volumes/Mailbackup" still returns NO. It
> only works, i.e. returns YES, if the user actually clicks on the "Mailbackup"
> folder in Finder. There is no entry in "/Volumes" either, until the user
> clicks.

> Is there a way to update NSFileManager or NSWorkspace without opening the
> folder in question?

They are not out of date, so there's nothing to update them about.

Connecting to the server is not the same as mounting a volume from it.  I can
reproduce the symptoms you describe, but I also clearly see that no volume is
mounted just upon completing the Connect As step.  If I click on one of the
volumes shared by the server, it mounts, it appears on my desktop (that's
configureable in Finder's preferences), the entry for the server in the Shared
section of the sidebar gains the eject button and moves to the top of the list,
the volume in the list of shares served from the server gains the eject icon,
etc.  All of those are indications that nothing was mounted before I clicked
and was after.

If you need something to be mounted, you can mount it yourself using
FSMountServerVolumeSync().  Otherwise, you can just wait for the user to
actually mount a volume instead of just connecting to a server.

Regards,
Ken