On 7 août 2010, at 09:50, Rick Mann wrote:

> I'm trying to understand how to call -registerForDraggedTypes: using UTIs,
> instead of PBoardTypes. I want my table view to accept files dragged in from
> the Finder. I accept multiple kinds of file. What's the right UTI to listen
> for? The 10.6 standard types don't seem to include anything that's obviously
> "file" type.

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/understanding_utis/understand_utis_intro/understand_utis_intro.html

"
Identifier Tags

Each UTI can have one or more tags associated with it. These tags indicate
alternate methods of type identification, such as filename extension, MIME
type, or NSPasteboard type. You use these tags to assign specific extensions,
MIME types, and so on, as being equivalent types in a UTI declaration.

For example, the public.jpeg identifier declaration includes one OSType tag
('JPEG') and two filename extension tags (.jpg and .jpeg). These tags are then
considered alternate identifiers for the public.jpeg type.

Essentially, you use the tags to group all the possible methods of identifying
a type under one UTI. That is, a file with extension .jpg or .jpeg, or an
OSType of 'JPEG' are all considered to be of type public.jpeg.