On Aug 10, 2010, at 6:55 AM, Bill Bumgarner wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2010, at 1:31 AM, Alastair Houghton wrote:
>
>> Sounds like a bug to me.  While zones are *discouraged* (they're very
>> definitely an advanced topic and easily misused), I don't think they're
>> actually deprecated.
>
> Their use is deprecated and should be documented as such.
>
> Zones were never very useful.   They seemed like they might be, but proved to
> be vastly more problematic than useful.
>
> (For those that don't know, the idea was to be able to create a zone for all
> of, say, a document's objects.  Then, when the document was closed, you
> destroy the zone without destroying the individual objects.)

More significantly, per-document zones group all of a document's object
allocations together, so that if I have four documents open but am only working
on one of them, the OS can easily page out the memory associated with the three
documents I'm not working on.  I remember way back in the day when I updated to
the first NeXTSTEP build that included zones, and suddenly my machine wasn't
thrashing anymore.  Zones were useful, but, as you say, problematic, because if
you make a mistake like allocating just one object for document A in document
B's zone, you lose the benefits.

Best,

__jayson

Circus Ponies NoteBook - Organization for a Creative Mind
www.circusponies.com