I asked for a new file which was a UITableViewController along with the
corresponding nib file. But when I instantiated my controller and presented
it, the table was not taking on any of the characteristics I was specifying
in the nib file. After some experimentation (subtext: this took all day to
figure out), it turned out that this was because initWithNibName: was not
behaving the way I expected. I was saying this:

TableViewController* tvc =
  [[TableViewController alloc] initWithNibName:nil bundle:nil];

I changed it to this:

TableViewController* tvc =
  [[TableViewController alloc] initWithNibName:@"TableViewController"
bundle:nil];

And presto, everything worked fine.

But I had expected initWithNibName: to follow the rule documented under
UIViewController:

"If you specify nil for the nibName parameter and do not override the
loadView method in your custom subclass, the default view controller
behavior is to look for a nib file whose name (without the .nib extension)
matches the name of your view controller class. If it finds one, the class
name becomes the value of the nibName property, which results in the
corresponding nib file being associated with this view controller."

But clearly that's not the behavior I was getting; instead, I had to specify
the nib name explicitly, even though its name was the same as the name of
the class.

Is this a bug? I've made a small demonstration project that I can easily
send in via bugreporter, if so. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = m...@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
Among the 2007 MacTech Top 25, http://tinyurl.com/2rh4pf