On 21 Aug 2010, at 14:35, Jaime Magiera wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2010, at 5:33 AM, Ken Thomases wrote:
>
>> In short, you can't reliably use AppKit (including NSImage) from a daemon or
>> remote shell.
>
> Thanks for the link. Interesting read.
>
> In short, that's really a bummer. It totally negates a chunk of functionality
> from my framework. I'll have to resort to something like keeping a client app
> running on the server that communicates with the webapp/shell via webservice
> (a security risk in itself). Also, it removes a lot of functionality from the
> API. There are a myriad of useful shell/server tools that could be created
> with that Cocoa functionality.
>
> Has anyone heard of Apple coming up with a solution to this conundrum? Or is
> it Bug Report time? There has to be some way to do it securely.

The particular problem with NSImage is that it uses the window server to
provide buffer space for image caches.  That isn't going to work from a non-GUI
session.

I don't see why NSBitmapImageRep wouldn't work, though, OTOH, though Ken is
right that using any part of AppKit is potentially problematic.

You can, of course, drop down to the Quartz/Core Image/ImageIO layer(s) and do
things there, which should work just fine.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://alastairs-place.net