Kind of late in the decade for this, but anyhow, the documentation for -release
says:

- (oneway void)release
   Decrements the receiver’s reference count.
   Discussion.  The receiver is sent a dealloc message when its reference count
reaches 0.

So it's always bothered me that if I override -dealloc and log the retainCount
on the way in, it is 1, not 0.

Upon doing some experiments, I believe that the first sentence in that
documentation is wrong.  It should say this instead:

   If the receiver's retainCount is greater than 1, decrements it.  Otherwise,
invokes -dealloc.

Reading the document Memory Management Programming Guide ▸ Object Ownership and
Disposal, one gets a similar false impression, although this document is vague
enough that it is only misleading, not wrong.

OK, someone tell me why I'm wrong about this