On Aug 29, 2010, at 11:21 AM, Matt Neuburg wrote:

> On or about 8/28/10 9:31 PM, thus spake "David Duncan"
> <david.dun...@apple.com>:
>
>> it is usually far more
>> useful to use a hardware cache, which means CALayer or UIView, not CGLayer.
>
> Sorry to keep coming back to this, but the documentation implies that
> CGLayer *is* a hardware cache - that's why I was using it. For example, the
> documentation says:

It is (potentially) a hardware cache on the desktop in certain situations.
Nothing in CG is hardware accelerated on iOS however, and CGLayer is no
exception.

>> Before you call this or any routine that uses CGLayer objects, you must check
>> to make sure that the system is running Mac OS X v10.4 or later and has a
>> graphics card that supports using CGLayer objects
>
> This suggests that CGLayer is implemented in hardware; otherwise surely the
> check for a proper graphics card wouldn't be necessary? But perhaps I'm
> misunderstanding.... m.

If you require hardware acceleration of CGLayer objects perhaps, but to simply
use CGLayers requires no such check. This would be a bug in the documentation.

Much of the shared documentation between iOS and Mac OS X will contain
information that is incorrect for one platform or another. We strive to point
out where information applies to only one platform or another, but this is an
ongoing effort.
--
David Duncan