David, Chris,

I promise I did not plan to start an Apple internal quarrel! ;)

>>> dispatch_async(queue, ^{
>>>     [layer display];
>>>     [CATransaction flush];
>>> }
>>
>> There is (almost) never any reason for anyone to be calling +[CATransaction
>> flush] directly. You'll cause all sorts of unexpected things to happen
>> w.r.t. extant CATransactions. You should let +flush be called at the end of
>> the run loop on its own.
>
> The work is occurring on a GCD queue, which has no runloop running, as such
> it won't be called on its own and there are no other extant transactions to
> be affected. Assuming 'queue' isn't the main thread queue that is.

You mean I shall use your dispatch_async invocation instead of calling [layer
setNeedsDisplay]? I was thinking of calling dispatch_async () inside
-drawInContext, but, if I understand your example correctly, this is wrong.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me,