Just use an additional NSObjectController. Its default content is a NSMutableDictionary, add a key here, say lockUI, switch "automatically prepares content" to yes and bind your form fields enabled binding to that controllers lockUI-property (should show up in IB). That is a completly valid and MVC-comforming technique, you are reusing existing classes and don´t need any gluecode (as in coding your state property in the controller).

Best regards, Markus