Hi Dave,

Might this have something to do with it?
"UIViewAnimationOptionAllowUserInteraction - Allow the user to
interact with views while they are being animated."
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/uikit/reference/UIView_Class/UIView/UIView.html#//apple_ref/c/tdef/UIViewAnimationOptions

If I remember correctly, this is set to 'No' by default in 4.0.  I
also remember reading a note somewhere that that default was being
considered for reversion, perhaps due to confusion such as your own :
).

Very best
Luke