Hello,

I have an NSOutlineView with variable row heights, as determined in
my -outlineView:heightOfRowByItem: delegate method. This has always seemed to
work fine, and the code of this delegate method hasn't changed much in the past
three years, but I have had a user report a case whereby his outline view
appeared completely blank and this message appeared on the console:

NSTableView/NSOutlineView variable row height code has detected re-entry.
Avoiding a crash....

After restarting the program, he hasn't seen the problem since, so I haven't
been able to reproduce it. But I did see it myself during testing once last
year
and then, too, I wasn't able to reproduce it a second time. I've Googled for
this message and can only find a couple of other posts referencing it, with no
solution. One problem is that I don't know exactly what the message means by
"re-entry", so I'm not sure whether the problem is with the variable row height
code itself (which seems fine), or because the row height code is somehow
getting called twice during layout, or something else entirely. I've gone
through the code but can find no obvious culprit (which is probably not
surprising given the rarity of the error).

Has anybody else seen this error, or does anybody know what it means?

Many thanks in advance and all the best,
Keith