On Sep 12, 2010, at 5:43 PM, Seth Willits wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2010, at 12:33 PM, Mitchell Livingston wrote:
>
>> In 10.6 the display of disk space was changed from base-2 to base-10, as
>> discussed in http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2419. For download rates
>> (KB/sec), is that also in base-10 on 10.6? Also, in what base is the display
>> of the amount of system memory?
>
> Nothing changed except for the hard drive disk space display.

Unambiguous standardized prefixes were defined to solve this problem a decade
ago, except nobody ever seems to use them. The most common reason I keep
hearing is that people are used to the old misused prefixes and think the new
prefixes might be confusing. Which is complete crap for reasoning, IMHO, its
marketing logic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibibyte

-Ed