On Sep 19, 2010, at 12:36 PM, k...@highrolls.net wrote:

> Am I on the right track or is there something even easier?

IMHO, No.

Please explain why you would subclass NSImage to accomplish any of your goals.
I suspect that the effort of making that explanation will be insightful.  Hint:
"has-a" vs. "is-a"

What you want was called a "palette" in the original Interface Builder in 1988
and remained in vogue for 20 years or so until the invention of "libraries" in
a recent update.  You can still see a palette in Microsoft Visio which copied
Diagram which copied the idea from Interface Builder.  A quick search
identified an interesting get-started tutorial that I just skimmed:
http://cocoadevcentral.com/articles/000056.php