I hope I am replying correctly, I am new at this.

The text in label1 is set with the setText method when the view is loaded.

What I am trying to achieve is putting some text whose value is in a label on
view1 into a label on view2 (called label2).  I was hoping to do with with
something likeā€¦

[label2 setText:<the text from label1 on view1>;

of course this code would be going in viewController2 .

The objects are all created in NIB files.  The labels do not need to be
dynamically linked. I just need this done when the view is loaded with the
addSubview method.

As for which views and controllers are aware of or have references to other
views and controller, well that is the issue.  I don't know how to reference an
object on a view outside of the view controller I am working in.  Surely there
must be a way to do this.

Steve