Hi,

Is this an over-release?

timer = [ [NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval: ...] retain];
[timer invalidate];
[timer release];

I've seen this pattern so many times I figured it was correct,
although it doesn't seem to comply with the memory management rules
(i. e. the timer is first implicitly released when invalidated, then
explicitly released again).This never caused a problem on my Intel,
but now I got several crash reports indicating an over-release on X86:

Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   com.apple.CoreFoundation            0x92752c94 CFRelease + 196
1   com.apple.CoreFoundation            0x927c97c1 __CFRunLoopTimerDeallocate +
33
2   com.apple.CoreFoundation            0x92752e31 _CFRelease + 353
3   myApp                       0x0000878a 0x1000 + 30602 // =
invalidateTimer method

Can someone please help clarify? This is my full code:

- (void)invalidateTimer
{
        if ( [theTimer isValid] ) {
                [theTimer invalidate];
                [theTimer release]; // crashes here
                theTimer = nil;

- (void)startTimer
{
        [self invalidateTimer];
        theTimer = [[NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:300 target:self
selector:@selector(timerFireMethod:) userInfo:nil repeats:NO] retain];