On Sep 24, 2010, at 1:35 AM, Ken Tozier wrote:

> However, when I try to use NSSocketPortNameServer instead of
> NSPortNameServer, I get server = nil
>
> server = [[NSConnection serviceConnectionWithName: @"PMXServer"
>               rootObject: self
>               usingNameServer: [NSSocketPortNameServer sharedInstance]]
>               retain];
>
> The documentation here serviceConnectionWithName:rootObject:usingNameServer:
> seems to indicate that this should work.

I may have been the one to direct you to this method, but I honestly don't know
if this approach is supposed to work.  Seems like it should, but...

In any case, it would just be a convenience method wrapping some other
approaches.  I recommend that you try creating a receive NSSocketPort yourself
and using +connectionWithReceivePort:sendPort: and
-registerName:withNameServer:.

In other words, my suspicion for why the other method isn't working is that it
doesn't know how to create NSSocketPorts to go along with the specified name
server.  It's trying to use generic NSPorts or something.

Regards,
Ken