If a valid document gets into my 'Recent Documents' menu, and then gets
corrupted such that I am unable to open it, how can I programmatically remove
it from the Recent Documents list (without removing everything in the list)?

Documentation says overriding recentDocumentURLs isn't used by the
DocumentController internals

I've tried overriding the applicationDelegate's application:OpenFile: and
returning NO, but that causes cocoa to attempt to open via the document
controller (and does not remove it from the list) when the open fails.
(some postings say returning NO tells cocoa to remove the item for the
list...and it may for non-Document based