If you unlinked just the top-level directory node, you would leave all of its
descendents with a link count > 0, and the corresponding blocks claimed by the
descendents would never be freed. (Ever. No one would have a reference to them,
and they'd never be found in subsequent traversals.) To regain the space, you
have to traverse through the structure and decrement the link count of the
children of the tree.

So, no.