Both C and Objective-C support implicit casting for the primitive types.

float f = 100.0f;
f += 100;

will give the expected result, because the compiler will see (float) + (int)
and cast the int to a float automatically. The conversion rules are part of the
ANSI C standard and apply in Objective-C as well. Any modern compiler will also
warn if you use an implicit conversion that could result in a loss of precision.