I have made freetds work on iOS.  It is doable, and it is usable.  I never did
anything with it because greeted is gpl, so turning it into a commercial
product on the AppStore presented non technical "challenges".  I also have
PostgreSQL client Libraries working on iOS.  If you want help with this, I will
be happy to talk about it, but ODBC is, IMO a bad fit for iOS at many levels.
In truth I think all traditional DBMS toolkits have issues in the long run on
iOS.  They are fine so long as the devices are on wifi within the walls.  Once
they go outside the walls, and you go from wifi bandwidth and latency levels to
3G or edge, these models quickly become horrible fits with the iOS model.

The problem is that *all* of the protocols, be it TDS, ODBC (which for MSSQL is
still TDS), libpq, et al are designed for low latency, high bandwidth
connections.  They are chatty and are not optimized for running over spotty and
intermittent 3g connections.  A VPN does not fix the fundamental weaknesses in
the wire protocols.  Any MSSQL admin that has more than a couple of years of
experience has seen the intermittent SSPI and connection drop errors that
happen on LAN's when you get a lot of line noise (a saturated hub will often
timeout otehr computers on the same hub).

Because of this, I strongly advocate n-tier solutions for iOS devices, but I
understand the reasons that they are often not options.  That is why I have
done the legwork on other options.

If MSSQL is your destination, then FreeTDS is your best option.  You
may/probably will need to work with FreeTDS.org to obtain a commercial usable
license, but in terms of usability and perfomance, it is fine (within reason).

Please do not misunderstand me, I am probably one of the biggest RDBMS
advocates in this community (PostgreSQLforMac, ODBCKit, PGSQLKit, and the
unreleased TDSKit are all my projects), but when it comes to iOS, I just do not
feel that the existing client libraries are the best solution.

Andy 'Dru' Satori