Is there a way of forcing an autoreleased object to be released right now? I am
encountering problems in my image processing code where I am receiving (and
later discarding) a lot of large blocks of autoreleased memory in a loop. This
is not getting cleaned up until the end of the loop (when I drop back into the
run loop) and I am running out of memory.

The problem is coming from OS functions such as [image TIFFRepresentation] that
return autoreleased objects, so it is obviously considered ok to autorelease
large chunks of memory. My question is whether I can tell the OS to release the
memory *now* rather than waiting until the pool is drained. At the moment I am
bracketing the relevant parts with my own autorelease pools, but that is
getting a bit tedious. I would like just to be able to call [imageRep
releaseNow] or something. I suspect that just calling 'release' on the
autoreleased memory would be a Bad Idea.

Any suggestions very welcome!
Cheers