Hi
What's the proper way to force an iOS device to set the orientation to one of

UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeLeft
UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeRight
UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait
UIInterfaceOrientationPortraitUpsideDown

?

The (relatively new) Wrox book says to do something along the lines of

[[UIDevice currentDevice] setOrientation:<one of the orientation constants above>];

but both the documentation and the compiler say no. The documentation states that 'orientation' is a readonly property of the UIDevice class, and the compiler confirms this with a warning that "UIDevice may not respond to 'setOrientation:'"

I know you can set the initial orientation in the viewDidLoad method, but that technique doesn't quite work anywhere else - it'll set the orientation all right, but the view itself won't act as if that's the orientation in use... at least on the iPad simulator; haven't tried uploading it to my iPad yet.

So what is the correct way of programmatically setting the interface orientation in iOS devices?