I have a status item which I'm initialising with a menu like so:

statusItem = [[[NSStatusBar systemStatusBar] statusItemWithLength:
NSSquareStatusItemLength] retain];

NSBundle *bundle = [NSBundle mainBundle];

statusImage = [[NSImage alloc] initWithContentsOfFile:[bundle
pathForResource:@"icon" ofType:@"png"]];

statusHighlightImage = [[NSImage alloc] initWithContentsOfFile:[bundle
pathForResource:@"icon-alt" ofType:@"png"]];

[statusItem setImage:statusImage];

[statusItem setAlternateImage:statusHighlightImage];

[statusItem setMenu:statusMenu];

[statusItem setToolTip:@"Test"];

[statusItem setHighlightMode:YES];

Then I take the first menu item (which is wired in IB and set its view.

[searchItem setView: searchView];

The view only contains a textbox.

The problem I have is that the first time you click the menuicon the textbox
can be interacted with. However any subsequent clicks and the textbox is
locked out.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial or something that explains how I can
handle this problem?