I have an application with a split view, master/detail design.  The 'master'
items are dynamically created and vary in number.  When I start the
application, I load these for use by the table view's data source during the
root view controller's viewDidLoad and everything works quite well.  Except....

I'd like the application to automatically select the item that was selected
when it was last exited.  I can't do this in viewDidLoad because the table
hasn't been populated yet.  There also seems to be no delegate method for
dealing with the end of a set of cell requests.  Currently, my best idea is to
subclass UITableView, override layoutSubviews so that I know when 'super' has
finished, and (if it's the first time through) append selection logic.  This
strikes me as a clumsy was of doing something that probably should be simple.

Suggestions for a cleaner approach would be