On 9 Nov 2010, at 13:32, Nick Zitzmann wrote:

On Nov 9, 2010, at 12:26 PM, Stephen Blinkhorn wrote:

I'm using a simple NSArray stored on a web server as part of a version tracking system. First I download the array using arrayWithContentsOfURL: and check the version etc. The problem with this approach is that if the server is down the method appears to hang indefinitely.

So I thought I'd use NSURLConnection to download the array and set a timeout value. Everything seems to be working but how can I turn the NSData* object(s) back into an NSArray that I can access as normal?

If the data is in property list format, then you turn it into an array using the NSPropertyListSerialization class. See its documentation for details.

Excellent, that works!  Thanks Nick.

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>