> Hi George,
> What you want to do would is within another's application.
> Any public hooks/APIs could be used...
> In this case VB and AppleScript.
> For deeper, Cocoa-based integration, you would probably need to work with
> Microsoft.
> Couldn't hurt to try contacting them...
>
> The means mentioned earlier are from within your own application.
>
> You might also look into building an app/tool as a Service...

Hi John
Thanks for the answer
The problem is that AppleScript allows to discover the caret's
position only relatively to the page's left-top corner, while there is
no way to determine that "page's left-top corner" absolute position.
Thus, i can't place my popup window where the caret is located. I am
pretty sure, Visual Basic doesn't give much more possibilities (AFAIK,
VB and AS operate on the same core API, which is closed to public).

And about "For deeper, Cocoa-based integration, you would probably
need to work with Microsoft".
What do you mean by working with Microsoft? I am not sure, but as far
as i know, they don't give out this low level API to 3d party
developers? And how could i contact them?
Perhaps some of Microsoft Office developers are looking through this
mailing list. Is there a place where i could find information about
who and on what conditions could get that mac:Office Word SDK APIs?

>You might also look into building an app/tool as a Service...
but what advantages does building as service has comparing to an
ordinary external Cocoa application?

Thanks,
George