On Nov 18, 2010, at 7:51 PM, Ken Thomases wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2010, at 9:33 AM, Keary Suska wrote:
>
>> On Nov 18, 2010, at 5:35 AM, Remco Poelstra wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've a object like to following:
>>> @interface <Proto> {
>>>     NSMutableArray *items;
>>> }
>>> @property (nonatomic,readonly) NSMutableArray *items;
>>> @end
>>>
>>> I also have a protocol as follows:
>>> @protocol Proto
>>> @property (nonatomic,readonly) NSArray *items;
>>> @end
>>>
>>> I of course want the items to be read only for the outside world, but the
>>> object itself should be able to modify it. Now the compiler complains about
>>> the properties not matching. How should I solve this? Make a custom getter
>>> that returns an immutable array? Make the property refer to a mutable
>>> array? Make the property an immutable array and make copies of the array
>>> while modifying it?
>>
>> The ivar type and the property type don't have to match. In fact, there does
>> not need to be any ivar backing whatsoever to properties.
>>
>> Change your property declaration to NSArray *, and implement the getter with
>> [[array copy] autorelease] or similar.
>
> You don't need to implement the getter.  The Cocoa docs are very clear that
> callers must respect the declared type of properties (i.e. return type of
> getters).  That is, if the getter is declared to return an immutable NSArray,
> then callers must not interrogate the returned object to determine if it's
> really mutable nor invoke mutation methods on it.  It may be, and often is
> (even in framework classes), that such a method returns an object that is, in
> fact, an NSMutableArray.  That's an irrelevant implementation detail.

We could say that it *should* be an implementation detail, but may lead to bugs
if a copy isn't returned, as even Cocoa does *not* guarantee that an object
will not be mutated out from underneath you (I include by reference the

Case in point, get the array of table columns from an NSTableView, then while
enumerating them remove a column from the tableview and BAM!

So, I think we should write code to guarantee immutability to the caller,
regardless of type of course, which is the API contract you spell out. I see
the easiest way as always returning a copy in the getter. But I don't remember
how synthesized accessors are implemented on the back-end, so I don't know if
they do the smart thing by default...

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.