On Nov 19, 2010, at 12:16, Matt Neuburg wrote:

>> Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:58:35 -0800
>> From: Laurent Daudelin <laur...@nemesys-soft.com>
>> Subject: NSNotificationCenter not always working?
>>
>> Is there a way to debug why the same "postNotificationName:object:userInfo:"
>> would not work the second time it's called?
>
> In a word - no. This is one of the worst aspects of NSNotificationCenter; I
> have complained about it many times, filed bugs, etc., and I suggest you do
> the same. In particular we need a way to ask the center what's registered
> with it, and for what.
>
> The last time I had a problem such as you describe, it turned out that my own
> code, far off in a different file, was unregistering me - so, the second time
> the notification was posted, I was no longer an observer. This was discovered
> essentially by simple reading all my code really carefully. In fact, by the
> time I figured it out, I had actually stopped using notifications in that
> project, because they were so hard to debug.
>
> I complained about this and did receive an interesting suggestion about
> breakpoints; but this is not as good as a simple ability to query the
> notification center would be.
>
> <http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/cocoa/157926-how-to-debug-notification-that-never-received.html>
>
> And of course a tiny misspelling in the name of a notification will get you
> too. This can be largely avoided by using a #define but people are often lazy
> about that.
>
> m.

Thanks, Matt. I'm of course using defines for my only notification name. I'm
suspecting it's my code as well but it's fairly straightforward. I'll revise my
code and see what I can do but I was afraid that in the case of
NSNotificationCenter, there wasn't much I could do, hence my question. Maybe
will override some methods through a protocol to see if some of the steps are
working as they should.

If anybody has any insight, suggestions are welcomed.

-Laurent.
--
Laurent Daudelin
AIM/iChat/Skype:LaurentDaudelin