What I have tried:
- new window NIB file
- add a toolbar
- add a custom view to the nib
- add controls to the custom view - a button, textfield, etc, tweak layout to
taste
- drag the custom view to the toolbar customise sheet (i.e. the allowed items
area)
- it looks like the view content will appear - the buttons are drawn in the
allowed items area
- drag the custom item to the toolbar (so it is in the default set) - oh no,
the buttons disappear
- simulate the interface - oh no, still no buttons!

Perhaps my first email was not concise enough...

thanks for the help
Rua HM.