How does one track state in Cocoa?

I have a message receiver which manages a number of TCP-connected processes
(100
or so). However, I need to keep track of the state of each connected process
(registered, busy, waiting, etc) to know what operations are 'legal' or
appropriate for dealing with each one.

Is there any construct, design pattern, object, etc inherent in Cocoa or OSX
that is used for this kind of thing, or do people 'roll their own' with some
sort of ad hoc table, struct, etc?