Matt, Jack, and Roland,

Thanks for your replies.

I have come to the conclusion that what I wanted to do is not easily done unless the table view controller has its own nib file. In IB if you don't specify that the table view controller that is the root view controller of a navigation controller has its own nib file, there is no access to the actual table view in IB, so no way there to specify the table style. (The inspector window for a table view controller has no setting to specify the style.) Hitting the disclosure triangle for the custom table view controller in the main window nib file in that case only shows the Navigation Item - it doesn't show the table view. To access the controller's table view you have to have a separate nib file for the table view controller and tell the main window nib in the Attributes Inspector to load from this other nib.

After re-creating my class with its own nib file I now have it working.

I would say the table view not showing under the table view controller in the main window nib file is a bug, but perhaps there is a reason for this that I don't see.

Thanks again,

Don