Yesterday I was getting frustrated that nothing I did in Interface Builder
produced a popover that looked right when I rotated my split view application
to portrait orientation.  Not only did it not look the way I wanted, I couldn't
get it back to its default appearance either.  It had decided that the
navigation bar should be white lettering embossed on a white background.
That's not how it looked in IB, but it's how it appeared in every (clean!)
build of the program.

Late last night, while away from the computer, something I remembered made me
suspicious.  When I was experimenting in IB with different options, I got to a
point where the changes weren't visible until I went to the
UINavigationController and toggled the "show" setting off and then on again.  I
guessed that something had gotten messed up inside the .xib file.  This morning
I created an empty split view project, configured its MainWindow.xib roughly
like the problematic project and used a text editor to compare.  Sure enough,
there were persistent background color references in there that didn't match
the IB settings.

After some careful editing I still don't have what I'd prefer but I'm no worse
off than before I started color customization.  Compared to yesterday, that's
success!  :-)