On 13 Dec 2010, at 11:01 AM, Matt Neuburg wrote:
> How can this seemingly minor change make such a big difference? I'm not even
> *using* the synthesized accessor! Yet its mere presence breaks the project.
> How can this be? m.
>
> PS A new discovery: changing the name of the ivar / property to "fr" solves
> the problem. So it appears that the problem is that I'm synthesizing
> accessors for the *name* "firstResponder". It is as if this name was being
> used under the hood in some way I'm unaware of, and synthesizing an accessor
> breaks its use. But how can *that* be?

Perhaps it stomps on the -isFirstResponder method? KVC access for 'foo' checks
(among other things) '-isFoo', presumably so that boolean properties feel
natural; perhaps synthesizing a 'foo' property likewise causes the object to
respond to 'isFoo'.

Hmm, also, it appears that UIResponder has some undocumented methods
-firstResponder and -_firstResponder, which your synthesized property would
also interfere with.