Thanks Kyle. Here is the finished working code for anyone else who
stumbles onto this thread. It uses an NSData category found here:
http://cocoawithlove.com/2009/06/base64-encoding-options-on-mac-and.html

- (NSString *)base64Encode:(NSString *)plainText
{
        NSLog(@"%@",plainText);
        NSData *plainTextData = [plainText
dataUsingEncoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding];
        NSString *base64String = [plainTextData base64EncodedString];
        NSLog(@"%@",base64String);
        return base64String;
}

- (NSString *)base64Decode:(NSString *)base64String
{
        NSData *plainTextData = [NSData dataFromBase64String:base64String];
        NSString *plainText = [[NSString alloc] initWithData:plainTextData
encoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding];
        NSLog(@"%@",plainText);
        return plainText;
}