>>Hmm, also, it appears that UIResponder has some undocumented methods
>>-firstResponder and -_firstResponder, which your synthesized property would
>>also interfere with.
>
> Doubtless. But how would I have discovered this?

I would have implemented -firstResponder and set a breakpoint to see
who was calling it. You could also use otool or class-dump to get a
listing of methods that UIResponder implements.

> Doesn't anyone besides me want to evince any outrage that this can happen? I
> mean, sheesh, if I wanted to live in a world where the namespace was polluted
> with secret undocumented terminology I could collide with accidentally, I
> could use AppleScript. m.

Hah – Cocoa/Obj-C certainly has its shortcomings, but comparing it to
AppleScript? Ouch.

There was an interesting discussion about bringing namespaces to Obj-C
on cfe-dev last month:

    http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.clang.devel/11746

Needless to say it's no small task, and the method-overriding problem
raised in this thread might not even be solved by Obj-C namespaces, as
it would depend entirely on how comprehensive the implementation was.