Yes, we optimized NSStringDrawing API since the documentation discouraging its
use was first written.

In fact, for some of short simple string rendering, it's the fastest on the
platform (use -drawWithRect:... variants for the maximum efficiency if
possible).

So, as already mentioned, use the cleanest approach and tune if necessary.

Note CoreText is a core layout engine, a building block for higher-level text
engines such as AppKit.  It doesn't necessarily perform better than
higher-level engines which are caching by utilizing contextual info available.

Aki