On Dec 21, 2010, at 10:08 PM, Brad Stone wrote:

> I have an NSTextView that has about 1,900 characters in it.  Just regular
> text.  If I edit the text and save my app hangs at  [[self
> managedObjectContext] commitEditing];  I found setting nonContinuousLayout to
> NO in the NSTextView prevents the hang but that's not really solving the
> problem.
>
> Here's what's strange.  If I expand the window so the all the text shows
> without the scroll bar it doesn't hang.  If I edit the same text but scroll
> down the get it I get a hang.  If I set nonContiguousLayout to NO it doesn't
> hang in either scenario.
>
> What advice can anyone give as to how I can address this problem?

One useful tool is a sample of the process to see where each of its threads is
spending its time.  This can help identify causes of deadlocks, which is what
it seems like you have.

There are several process-sampling tools in Mac OS X: the "sample" command, the
Sample Process command in Activity Monitor, the Time Profile (All Thread
States) tools of Shark or Instruments.  For sharing on a mailing list, the text
files produced by the sample command are probably simplest.

Regards,
Ken