On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Joshua Garnham
<joshua.garn...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I see your point but I just found this post on Stack Overflow detailing how
> someone else has done it.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4064386/reverse-engineering-an-nsmenu-for-a-status-bar-item
>
> However I am having dificulty compiling the code as I get EXC_BAD_ACCESS on
> the line where the event handler is installed. Can you shed any light on the
> code in that question?

1. Your question has nothing to do with compiling code. EXC_BAD_ACCESS
is a runtime exception caused by a bad pointer dereference.
2. Nobody can debug anything like this without your exact source code
and a stack trace leading up to the exception, at a bare minimum.
3. The code you posted relies on private API.
4. None of this will work on 64-bit Mac OS X.

So the answer is to stop beating this dead horse and do it the right
way. File a bug asking for support for this in NSMenu in a future
version of OS X if you like, but in the meantime your one, single,
solitary, only option is to forsake NSMenu and use a borderless
NSWindow.

--Kyle Sluder