Another option would be to have your preference pane launch a little installer
that won't proceed until the user quits System Preferences.  Something like "In
order to uninstall MyAwesomeFoo, please quit System Preferences".  Then wait
until the app quits, then dismiss the dialog and proceed.  You might even be
nice and have a "Quit it for me" button, that does the AppleScript thing.

Dave