________________________________
From: Nick Zitzmann <n...@chronosnet.com>
To: Jon Sigman <rf_...@yahoo.com>
Cc: cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com
Sent: Thu, January 6, 2011 1:04:47 PM
Subject: Re: NSDictionary key types

On Jan 6, 2011, at 1:04 PM, Nick Zitzmann wrote:

>On Jan 6, 2011, at 2:03 PM, Jon Sigman wrote:

>> Is this what the documentation for "isEqual:" refers to when it says "If two
>>objects are equal, they must have the same hash value"? How do I determine
>>what
>>an object's hash value is?

>It's the value returned from the hash property declared by NSObject.

Okay, I'm thoroughly confused now. What exactly is this hash value? The
documentation just says its "an integer that can be used as a table address in
hash table structure." That doesn't mean much to me.

Do the following two objects have the same hash value, and if so, why do thay?
How is it assigned?
id myStr1 = @"8760";
id myStr2 = @"8760";