I may have missed it, but I don't believe anyone has mentioned my first choice
in this sort of task:

 -- the programmatic interface to Spotlight:

        <http://goo.gl/JGgVQ> "Introduction to Spotlight Query Programming
Guide"

combined with UTIs:

        <http://goo.gl/9AxdT> "Introduction to Uniform Type Identifiers
Overview"

Because SpotLight uses a prebuilt index, it will trounce pretty much any other
search technique.

UTIs let you specify _classes_ of filetypes (like "movie" or "audio") rather
than bogging down in endless detail that needs perpetual updating.

No search scheme can guarantee 100% perfection, but using system resources
instead of rolling your own lets you effortlessly benefit from Apple's
continued stepwise refinement.