On Jan 16, 2011, at 1:43 PM, Graham Cox wrote:

>> It's not like I'm leaking any memory here, so why the large permanent
>> increase? I'd like to avoid it if I can because I'm getting criticized for
>> "using too much memory" despite it not being my fault. :-p
>

> Who complains about a 30MB memory usage increase these days? Who even
> notices? This is not Mac OS 9, it doesn't matter what your app's memory
> footprint is (within reason).

That's 30 MB for *a single image*. It happens multiple times and adds up. Who
notices? Me, but also my customers (really). The recently released rewrite of
my app QuickPick uses Core Animation and Core Image. It's a document and
application launcher. Should it be using 150 MB? No. That's clearly excessive.
Why is it using 150 MB? A little bit is my slight misuse of CA thinking it's
smarter than it is, but almost 100 MB is just from using Core Image instead of
Core Graphics.

If I remove just the blur filter, the memory usage isn't any lower. I can
achieve the same effect (without the blur) using CG/NS and memory usage doesn't
increase at all, as I would expect.

> I expect Core Image is caching stuff for future use...

I have the same thought, but if I kill off the filter and every other
CI-related object, I'd expect that to go away. Creating new filters and
executing it again isn't significantly faster.

--
Seth Willits