On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> On 17/01/2011, at 10:20 AM, Ken Ferry wrote:
>
> > Apple is certainly able to do a dot rev of all the iLife apps
> simultaneously.
>

> But they cannot guarantee that a user would upgrade them all
> simultaneously, and seems unlikely they'd accept a situation where upgrading
> one would break all the other older ones still in use.

Yes they can… Apple can make it a single line item in Software Update.

> I know that's not any sort of guarantee, but they have a fair track record
> on that score.
>
> The design of the database makes it unnecessary even if it was
> substantially reorganised, so if it did happen that would be poor change
> management.

Poor change management in what sense?  If the file is not intended for 3rd
party use, then how is it wrong to change it?  Do you worry about changing
your file formats?  It is really not possible for you to be aware of what
might cause that file to have to change.  For example, if I were doing this
myself, my first impulse would be to have no such file.  I'd have a
framework that reads the native representation of the library rather than
this on-the-side XML thing.  I would delete the XML thing.

I also have no desire to argue about whether Apple is or is not going to
change this thing, but I don't want the last word in this thread to be
advice that people should blindly use this framework.  Think of the newbies.
:-)  Do you actually disagree with the point I'm trying to make?  I
seriously doubt it!  It's very bad to be depending on a hack and not know
it.  It's important to understand that this XML file is private data whose
very existence is not guaranteed, unless it's not, but I assume by now
someone would have told me if it was publicly supported.

-Ken
Cocoa Frameworks