On Jan 19, 2011, at 12:15 PM, Lee Ann Rucker wrote:

> Sounds like a radar bug I filed a while back. It was marked as a duplicate of
> 6728942
>
>> From my bug:
>
> Snow leopard throws a doesNotRecognizeSelector in NSTableView.
>
> Regression:
> Works on Leopard.
>
> 6   com.apple.ExceptionHandling       0x976b1ebb -[NSExceptionHandler
> _handleException:mask:] + 331
> 7   com.apple.ExceptionHandling       0x976b1d52
> NSExceptionHandlerExceptionRaiser + 228
> 8   libobjc.A.dylib                   0x916c2776 objc_exception_throw + 56
> 9   com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x9085072b -[NSObject(NSObject)
> doesNotRecognizeSelector:] + 187
> 10  com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x907b5ae6 ___forwarding___ + 950
> 11  com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x907b56c2 _CF_forwarding_prep_0 + 50
> 12  com.apple.AppKit                  0x95548f9d -[NSTableView
> _dataSourceValueForColumn:row:] + 75
>
> The dataSource and delegate are connected in nibs and never referenced in our
> code, but we can work around this by setting them to nil explicitly when the
> window is about to close, so we suspect that it's attempting to use
> deallocated objects.

In general, it is good practice in your apps to set your delegate and
datasource to nil. Who is to say something might cause a draw to happen, which
would then message your (now dealloced) delegate? Ideally, NSTableView
shouldn't message the delegate/datasource after the window is closed, but
something extra "setNeedsDisplay" messages get thrown into it, causing it to
happen, and crash. That is why your bug happened. 6728942 made an effort to
reduce the display message.

--corbin