On Jan 23, 2011, at 8:25 AM, Phillip Mills wrote:

> My application has a settings bundle with eight different things that can be
> modified.  There are three of them that -- in a perfect world -- should be
> changed only by the person who has the device passcode.  The perfect solution
> would be to have them behave the same as "Reestrictions" in the general
> settings, but I haven't found any way of flagging those options as protected.
>
> I thought about moving them out of the Settings application and into a view
> controlled by my app, but I don't see an interface to any system
> authorization request mechanism.
>
> Am I missing something or is this kind of security just not doable on an iPad?

Think about using a Profile

One thing you should read is
Configuration Profile Key Reference

That should get you thinking about the things you might need to rely on a
passcode.

Otherwise, you might think about the Keychain.

It will be your design needs/decision as to what approaches work best for your
requirements and usability.
Keep in mind a profile is a good thing for large organizations deploying iOS
apps, but is a trade-off by requiring/limiting user behavior (and thus annoying
them)

I can see a scenario where you want an app for classroom use by students that
is configurable only by the instructor but usable by all.
It'll be a bit of work, but definitely consider requiring a longer passcode. 4
digits will be guessed by somebody in that kind of