On Jan 25, 2011, at 8:45 PM, Dave Carrigan wrote:

> I don't have your original message any more, but my understanding is that you
> have rolled your own tab bar controller.

Yes, though not all of its functionality.

> When the docs say that a UINavigationController can be a tab in a tab bar
> interface, they mean a UITabBarController, not a UIViewController that
> happens to implement a tab bar interface.

If that's the case, then I think they should make that distinction explicit in
the docs.

> Apple engineers have access to private APIs that we do not, that lets them
> make UINavigationControllers work well with UITabBarControllers. You do not
> have that, which is why trying to put a UINavigationController into a
> UIViewController of your own design is going to cause you problems.

Yes, I understand that. I am hoping that those problems are not going to appear
in this particular app (after all, I'm not using all the power built into tab
bars and tab bar controllers) or, if they do, as with the status bar gap
appearing when the device is turned upside down, then I'm hoping the client
will reconsider their requirements.

I'm sure I'm not the first nor will I be the last developer to bend the rules a
little in order to satisfy one's clients.

>> In order to accomplish that, I need to be able to change the tab bar's
>> delegate and list of items and restore them when the navigation controller
>> returns to its root view. A tab bar managed by a UITabBarController cannot
>> have its delegate changed, so I'm faking a UITabBarController.
>
> I tend to agree with others that displaying the experiment modally might be a
> better UI, but if you don't want to do that, you should still be able to use
> a UITabBarController and just call -setViewControllers:animated: to change
> the contents to the tab bar. Just make sure you implement -tabBarItem for
> each of the view controllers in the array so that you get icons in the tab
> bar and not just text.

I admit that I hadn't considered your suggestion, and it might satisfy the
needs of everyone involved. Thanks for offering it.