This should be a FAQ. The topic of Cocoa without Interface Builder comes up on
the list surprisingly frequently, usually from someone who, like you, is
"trying to understand how Cocoa really works".

You may be thinking that graphical UI builders (like Interface Builder) are
somehow a crutch and a barrier to understanding. That might be the case for
other environments, but Interface Builder is a integral part of Cocoa
Application development, not a shortcut for newbies. Which is to say, if you
think bypassing Interface Builder is a purer path to app development, you have
already missed the point.

But to answer your question, yes, it is possible to create an NSWindow (or any
other UI element) programmatically.

_murat